Barrett is the only official Syd Barret book. Made in conjunction with the Barrett family, it is full of unseen and rare images of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd and artworks and photographs by Syd himself.
The Signature Edition is a boxed set of two leather bound books presented in a cloth covered clamshell case foiled with Syd Barrett's signature and green metallic tortoise logo. The edition is limited to 500 numbered sets each signed by the authors and by one of Syd Barrrett's siblings, either Alan, Don, Rosemary or Ruth.
The books have been with access to the Barrett family art and photograph archive, and their recollections which have combined to show a new picture of Syd the creative, revealing a man who was a dedicated, practising artist throughout his life. It is full of unseen and rare images of Syd Barrett and Pink Floyd. It collects and catalogues for the first time artworks and photographs by Syd himself.
Volume 1 of the Signature Edition is bound in dark green leather and embossed with tortoise logo and foiled with Barrett signature. The book splits into three sections:
- Syd’s life in photographs – from growing up through to working and performing with Pink Floyd and his life as a solo artist.
- Unseen and unpublished illustrated letters sent to Libby Gausden-Chisman and Jenny Spires between 1962-1965, as Syd was finding himself as a painter and a musician.
- All of Syd’s existing work as a visual artist from 1962 until his death.
The book contains over 250 images. These include:
- Over 100 completely unseen images and many more reproduced in fine art quality for the first time.
- Over 40 artworks including: paintings, drawings, mosaics, collages, and sculptures.
- Over 50 unseen photographs taken by Syd of his artworks, including: images of his “destroyed” works seen here for the first time, studies in preparation for his artworks, images of his work area.
The Art section also includes:
- An extensive commentary on Syd’s artworks by Barrett art expert Will Shutes.
- Notes on Syd’s diaries, notebooks, scrapbooks, and his History of Art project.
- The Catalogue Raisonné of Syd’s art – listing and dating all the artwork known to have existed.
Volume 2 is bound in tan leather, embossed with tortoise logo and foiled with Barrett signature. It presents for the first time 30 newly restored large format photographic prints taken by Irene Winsby. There are shots of Pink Floyd in rehearsal, as well as both candid and posed publicity pictures. They were taken over two sessions in January 1967 at the offices of Pink Floyd’s managers, Blackhill Enterprises. Almost all are unseen, and none have ever been reproduced in this quality.
Volume 2 also contains an interview with Irene Winsby, giving the full story of this legendary shoot for the first time.